Do you live to eat? Want to meet other food lovers and talk about food and cooking? Love collecting cookbooks and trying new recipes? You’ll love Tablespoon’s Cookbook Club!
A cookbook club is a themed potluck where everyone brings a different dish from the same book.
This month, we’re reading and cooking from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle!
“Mastering the Art of French Cooking is for both seasoned cooks and beginners who love good food and long to reproduce at home the savory delights of the classic cuisine, from the historic Gallic masterpieces to the seemingly artless perfection of a dish of spring-green peas.”
This book is credited with changing the way Americans cook and is revolutionary in its approach because:
• it leads the cook infallibly from the buying and handling of raw ingredients, through each essential step of a recipe, to the final creation of a delicate confection;
• it breaks down the classic cuisine into a logical sequence of themes and variations rather than presenting an endless and diffuse catalogue of recipes; the focus is on key recipes that form the backbone of French cookery and lend themselves to an infinite number of elaborations—bound to increase anyone’s culinary repertoire;
• it adapts classical techniques, wherever possible, to modern American conveniences;
• it shows Americans how to buy products, from any supermarket in the United States, that reproduce the exact taste and texture of the French ingredients, for example, equivalent meat cuts, the right beans for a cassoulet, or the appropriate fish and seafood for a bouillabaisse;
• it offers suggestions for just the right accompaniment to each dish, including proper wines.
Since there has never been a book as instructive and as workable as Mastering the Art of French Cooking, the techniques learned here can be applied to recipes in all other French cookbooks, making them infinitely more usable. In compiling the secrets of famous cordons bleus, the authors have produced a magnificent volume that is sure to find the place of honor in every kitchen in America. Bon appétit!”
The Tablespoon Chefs will supplement the meal with additional sides and pair them with great wines throughout the meal. All you have to do is bring your favorite dish from the book and show up ready to eat, drink, and have fun!